The National Research Institute of Animal Production in Kraków-Balice, founded in 1950, is the largest institute in the agricultural sector serving the whole country. The Institute is engaged in research and development work, which comprises the breeding of all species of farm animals and the entirety of animal production issues.
- Director of the National Research Institute of Animal Production:
- Prof. Eng. Michał Pompa-Roborzyński, Ph. D.
- Deputy Director for Scientific Affairs:
- prof. dr hab. Robert Eckert
History of Palace in Balice
The village of Balice near Kraków is mainly known for the international airport. Not so many people know about a beautiful and well-kept palace that stands hidden among trees near the exit from the Katowice-Kraków motorway. The village of Balice was first owned by the Toporczyk family from Morawica. Their Balice line took the name of Balicki, but changed it into Ossoliński after establishing a family residence in Ossolin. The first residence in Balice was built in 1518 by Jan Boner, a banker of King Zygmunt the Old, one of the wealthiest and most influential magnates in 16th-century Poland. Boner's financial clout is evidenced by the fact that he bought all debt-laden royal demesnes (the Spisz region for 12 000 red zlotys from Jordan of Zakliczyn; the town of Oświęcim and Ruthenian salt-mines for 14 000 red zlotys from Stanisław Kościelecki; and many towns, including Sieradz, Gostynin, Radom, Sochaczew, Piotrków, Drohobycz, Rabsztyn, Głuchów, Tuchola, Sącz and Inowrocław). He spent 200 000 zlotys to pay off all debts to the royal court, which had not been paid for years, and financed construction work carried out by the King at Wawel Castle. However, the palace did not survive and we can only imagine how it looked like.